Belief: Happiness Leaders
One Day Body Detox
Feel better inside and out with this super-simple body detoxification plan!
Use Your Sickness to Get Happy
Flu, colds, allergies—it's full-on sick season, but you can use it to your advantage to get happier!
What Are You Fighting For?
Knowing why you're doing anything will help you succeed at it and be happier!
The Fallacy of I'll Be Happy When ...
Does future-thinking sabotage the now?
By lyssa - 08:12PM - 07/16/2012
Inspired by this post from Mel Schwartz at A Shift of Mind, let's talk about the fallacy of thinking "I'll be happy when ..." It's easy to fall into the trap fo thinking that you'll be happier when you meet the right person, get the perfect job, lose 5—or 15—pounds, have time to paint, whatever. But is that projection of happiness being far-off actually holding you back from seeing the happiness in front of you?
Mel says in his post, "Happiness can only occur in the moment that you're in and can only be sustained by developing a nurturing relationship with yourself and, hopefully, others. The ultimate source of happiness lies in the quality of your thoughts."
Are you thinking quality happy thoughts now, or are you letting yourself fall into the fallacy of future-think? Can you build a nurtuing relationship with yourself that says you are happy now, and if you meet the right person/find the perfect job/lose weight/paint for several hours each evening, your happiness will change, but it will not be better or worse than this current happiness?
The trick is identifying this moment as its own, and letting all the other moments be their own version of happy, different, but all part of you.
- You Are Wrong About What Will Make You Happy
- I Wish I Had Let Myself Be Happy
- How to Become A Saint*
- How to Create Instant Intimacy with Anyone
- If You're Not Doing This, You're Forgiving Wrong
- Evolving Criticism: Changing the Trend from “Screw You” to “How Can I Help?”
- Misusing Meditation
- Gender Equality: An Open Letter To Feminist Trolls
- The Apology
- Hack Your Mind for Mental Health
- Today’s Tip for Happiness: Follow Your Own Advice
- Patience on The Path to Happiness
- In My Defenselessness My Safety Lies
- Tiny Wonder or Tiny Terror?
- Spirituality, Drugs, and Meditation
- This is The Song That Never Ends ... What a T-Shirt Can Teach You About Success in Relationships